There are SO many reasons to join Team Janine for Portland's Komen Race for the Cure. We've all been touched by breast cancer in some way, right? We've had or are dealing with it right now ourselves...we know someone who's had breast cancer or has succumbed to it...we want to find the cure before someone we love is diagnosed with breast cancer, and I'm sure there are many more reasons.
Many of our Team Janine members are breast cancer survivors and in the past nearly eight years now, we have lost a team member, Karen, to metastatic breast cancer that spread to her brain. It broke our hearts, and we miss her, but it has contributed to our determination to help find a cure and end breast cancer forever!
Here are some breast cancer facts:
- Every minute, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer.
- 1 in 7 women in Oregon and SW Washington will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. We will lose 40,000 women and men to the disease this year.
- In Oregon and Southwest Washington, 63 women and men are diagnosed every week, and 11 will die.
Here's some of what Komen does with the money we raise:
- Because of donations to the Portland Race for the Cure, nearly 2,000 LOCAL women and men received life-saving screenings, like mammograms; these are people who otherwise could not afford it.
- 75% of the funds raised her, stay here, saving local lives - $19.8 million in early detection, survivor and fighter support, and advocacy.
- 25% is pooled with other affiliates to fund promising research, including $12.4 million to local research institutions - Providence Cancer Center and OHSU Knight Cancer institute.
- Your participation and donations / fundraising help us fight these statistics together. Since 1981, the 5-year relative survival rate, when breast cancer is diagnosed at an early stage and confined to the breast, was about 74%. Today, it is 99%. In the U.S. from 1989-2015, the breast cancer mortality rate has decreased by 39%.
I'm a breast cancer survivor and I hope you'll join Team Janine this year...here's your personal invitation!
Join Team Janine by clicking HERE