Do you know what the most popular candy was the year you were born? Yeah me neither but thanks to DELISH we have the list. For me it was Fruit Stripe gum. OMG I totally remember this gum and begging my grandma to buy it. In fact both of my grandma's kept gum in their purses and I realize now the sole reason was probably to give to us kids during church when we started getting antsy.
What candy was big the year you were born?
- 1967: Starburst - They launched in the U.K. in the 60s and became a favorite when they hit the states in ‘67.
- 1971: Laffy Taffy - The jokes on the wrappers made this a Halloween favorite.
- 1975: Pop Rocks - Despite the urban legend, these won’t make your stomach explode.
- 1977: Tootsie Roll - They had a catchy jingle back then and this was their big moment.
- 1980: Big League Chew - This pouch of gum was a huge hit when it came out in 1980.
- 1981: Jelly Belly - Thank President Reagan for this one, they were a favorite of his.
- 1982: Reese’s Pieces - This is the year “E.T.” came out featuring the new-ish candy.
- 1985: Sour Patch Kids - Coming out at the height of Cabbage Patch Kids mania helped this candy become super popular.
- 1987: Air Heads - This new candy was an instant hit.
Check out DELISH for the full list.