K103 and Concordia University are pleased to honor and support outstanding educators making a difference in the lives of students in their schools each month. Congratulations to this month’s honored educator, Dayna Strozinsky, 4th Grade Teacher at Chief Joseph Elementary School in Portland, Oregon!
Dayna Strozinsky was nominated by a record number of people! Here are just a few of the kind words from her nominations:
- Dayna is an amazing educator. She was my 4th grade teacher! I have kept in close contact with her and her daughters and I think she really deserves this because she goes above and beyond for her students and her family. She’s always so positive and helpful no matter what!
- Ms. Stro has been teaching at the same school for over 25 years and is a pillar in the school.She made a lasting impression on my daughter and helped her overcome many fears she developed from a previous teacher.Dayna takes the time to know every one of her kids and gives them the attention and time need to make them feel special.We visit her often and every time we’re there, she has at least 3 old students stopping by to say hi.My daughter is now a freshman in high school and she loves going back to visit Ms. Stro.We love her and she deserves the world.Her oldest daughter has been battling stomach cancer for over 7 years now and Ms. Stro puts on a brave face every day she comes to school to teach and puts her students first no matter what she’s going through.
- Dayna has dedicated her life to molding children into amazing adults. She not only teaches our future world leaders, she becomes part of their families
Congrats, Dayna, from all of us at K103! Get to know Ms. Stro through her Q&A below.
How many years have you been teaching?
Over 35 years (27 years at Chief Joseph)
Why did you choose a teaching career?
My passion was always to be a teacher. I have known since second grade this is what I wanted to do. 35 years later I am still passionate about my job, my students, the parents and the community. It gives me great satisfaction in watching my students grow academically, as well as socially, to learn and challenge themselves, and to discover new things. Children are so inquisitive which means I am constantly learning as well. Every day is a different day!
Why Elementary School students?
Teaching elementary students allows me to teach all of the subjects which keeps me quite busy. Teaching doesn’t stop when that bell rings at 3:00. Hopefully I inspire my students as much as they inspire me on a daily basis.
What do you love most about your job?
I love the relationships I have made with my students now and in the past. I still keep in touch with many former students and families and get the opportunity to teach siblings or cousins, or even their own children. At the moment, I have a student in my classroom that I had her father in my classroom at the start of my career.
The K103 Honor Roll is powered by Concordia University, with support from CTL. K103, Concordia University and CTL thank all the amazing educators who make our schools great! Each month during the school year, K103 will honor a local educator with a spot on the K103 Honor Roll. Each honored educator receives:
- $500 Gift Card from Concordia University for school supplies
- Concordia University Continuing Education Scholarship valued at $2800
- $2500 Technology Grant from CTL for new Chromebooks and Chromeboxes
- Engraved Commemorative Plaque
- Catered lunch for the teacher's lounge from Jersey Mike's
CLICK HERE to nominate your favorite educator!