We've all had those moments when everything things feels overwhelming and then something 10 times more stressful happens. But here are some truly helpful tricks from PureWOW
- Do hourly check-ins - A lot of times, it’s not what’s going on right now that’s stressing us out, it’s the anticipation of what’s going to happen. So get back in the moment by periodically asking yourself “Am I okay right this second?” Chances are, yep, you are.
- Enlist friends to cheer you on - Instead of isolating yourself when you’re having a bad week, confide in your besties so they can help boost you up. Let them know what’s going on and they’ll send empowering texts, funny GIFs and baby goat photos to get you through.
- Take five - They say meditation helps, but if you feel like it’s not your thing, try Insight Timer. It’s a free mindfulness app with stress-releasing guided meditation to help you get in the zone, sometimes as quickly as five minutes.
- Sip a cup of peppermint tea - When you’re feeling peak “my life is falling apart” stress, try a warm cup of tea. Feeling the warm mug in your hands and sipping slowly can help you slow down and peppermint has been scientifically proven to have calming effects, so it should help release some tension.
- Imagine everything going perfectly - It sounds cheesy, but several studies have shown that positive visualization can help. So when you’re afraid of bombing your big presentation at work, imagine walking up to the podium confidently and relaxed, then giving an engaging presentation. Seems corny, but science says it works.
- Listen to your favorite song - Listening to music can lower your stress level and help your body recover from stress, according to a study from the University of Zürich. So out on your headphones and play your stress away.